Monday, August 26, 2013

His Mercies



I left on Saturday, August 17, to begin a new chapter in life, leaving my home (which I had only been visiting for a little over a month) to move to Tegucigalpa, Honduras. It was hard to say goodbye yet again, when it felt like I had just arrived. But I felt consoled by the fact that I would be returning, if even for five days, in the beginning of October for my dear friends’ wedding.

My flight, as most to Honduras, was an overnighter that left on Saturday night and arrived Sunday mid-day. As I sat in the Houston airport early Sunday morning waiting for my second flight, I wrote down some thoughts of anticipation, excitement, and nervousness. I was sitting in a corner of the airport by myself, and as I watched the sun rise, I was reminded of a great comfort. “His mercies are new every morning…” I remembered the verse from Lamentations 3. Whether that morning be in my sweet hometown, in the Houston airport, in my new home of Tegucigalpa. As the sun rises each day, so too does God’s mercies—which come to us in all sorts of forms, expected and unexpected.

God has opened some large doors to get me here to Honduras. I am working with the Association for a More Just Society, a Christian human-rights organization. I work alongside passionate and talented Hondurans who come to work each day committed to bringing peace to a country that desperately needs it. Though I have only been there a week, they have welcomed me with open arms. For that, I am extremely grateful.

So what did my first week look like? I moved in with my sweet host family, who go out of their way to care for me. Dona Juanita is my host mom, and her grown daughter Marta lives here with her husband Hector and their three kids: Paolo (8 years), Hector (5 years), and Alison (2 years). From the moment I first walked in the door the children have welcomed me in as a new part of the family and are constantly hanging on me, hugging me, wanting me to play with them, and letting me know they are happy that I am here. The family is extremely kind and I feel safe and loved in their home. My room is very comfortable though humble, and even has its own bathroom! I can’t say I am getting used to the cold showers, but I am grateful to have a way to get clean every night and cool down before I go to bed.

I started work right away last Monday, and by day’s end I had a desk space, a work computer, cell phone, and an AJS badge which reads, “Voluntario”. Throughout the week I worked on various small projects, including translation, which aided me in learning more about the organization while also keeping me busy. This coming week I think I will get a more concrete idea of what sorts of projects I will work on, while continuing to visit with certain teams of AJS that I am interested in to learn more about their projects and if I can help them. No matter what task I am given to work on, I keep reminding myself of how awesome it is that I get to be a part of this awesome organization—there is so much to learn! They truly are working to make a difference in Honduran society, and I know the lessons I learn here are important and part of God’s calling for my life and career.

I am getting used to the typical 9-5 working world! I actually have been waking up every morning at 5:30 am thanks to a noisy bird my family has named Alex. I seriously don’t even need an alarm, Alex would suffice. So this means that when 8:30 at night rolls around, I am ready to start getting ready for bed. This schedule is a bit different from what I have been living!! Additionally, Aaron and I along with other coworkers are planning to work out each week. This past week we went running at a big track near the university where tons of people go after work to run and walk. It was a nice place and I enjoyed it! This weekend we went with Aaron’s host family to visit a little town about half an hour outside of the city. It was more rural, quite, and peaceful. It was extremely relaxing and I enjoyed getting to meet more of his host family’s family members. We also got to talk to both of our families in the U.S. via Skype there, which was wonderful!

I don’t think my first week here could have gone better. I am already learning so much and am so grateful to be in Honduras. I am also extremely grateful for the presence of my best friend and companion, Aaron, who has made the transition to living here extremely smooth. I am happy we are in this journey together.

I am grateful for all the mercies God has provided in this first week, to make me feel comfortable and cared for. I know that He will continue to guide me and lead me, and I can’t wait for all that is in store. Thank you for your continued prayers and love.

1 Corinthians 15: 58 “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for you and Aaron, mi querida Tay! Bendiciones be upon you two during this chapter of your lives! XO. Thinking of you often!

    ReplyDelete